Saturday, August 20, 2016

What kind of teacher would I be?

I used to imagine myself being a teacher when I was a little girl. I would design these little workbooks that help students write alphabets.

I was just reading the beginning of a really cool book called Banal Nationalism by Michael Billig. It was so interesting. And I thought to myself, if I were to lecture at a university, what subject would I want to teach?

Being in the education field, and rather inter-disciplinary in nature, I would think my expertise would eventually cover qualitative research methodologies, academic writing (my love for it explains this blog), citizenship education...

But you know what I would like to teach? Something on nationalism... and patriotism... about how nations came about, what distinguishes one from another, not just the physical and legal aspects, but the social and emotional aspects that I have been digging deep into. The diversity and universality of the concept of nation-states. That would be cool.

To get there, I need to read up a lot more and form some mental framework for this topic!

No comments: