Monday, November 24, 2014

Introducing and defining the problem

... if the problem is not stated in a reasonable, understandable way, readers will have no interest in your solution. Even if the reader labors through your paper, which is unlikely if you haven't presented the problem in a meaningful way, he or she will be unimpressed with the brilliance of your solution... In the introduction you should have a "hook" to gain the reader's attention. Why did you choose that subject, and why is it important? - Robert A. Day and Barbara Gastel in How to Write and Publish a Scientific Paper (7th ed.)
So here I am. Thesis update! Yesterday I have read through once my findings section. Yippie! That means, now my weakest section is the Literature Review, Discussion and Conclusion. Today, I am planning to work on these. But before I will do so, I want to revise/edit my Introduction so that when I write the rest, they will cohere. So here I am reminding myself the purpose of the introduction. Define the problem and entice my readers to be interested in my solution! :)

No comments: