Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Cumulative efforts

As I am working on my Findings, I also find that I have to work on my Literature Review. Only then, I can work on my Discussion. So this passage motivates me to write my Literature Review and I want to share it with you. It's also from Harry Wolcott's book but now page 76:

Another role theory plays - and could play to a greater extent - addresses a nagging shortcoming in qualitative study: our individual and collective failure to make our efforts cumulative. Every study tends to be one-of-a-kind, largely because of the fierce independence of most qualitative researchers and the limited scope of what any one individual can accomplish. A small step in this regard, in addition to a more generous spirit in recognizing the relevant work of others, might be for each of us to make better use of our own earlier studies in interpreting our later ones, to make our individual efforts cumulative over time, such as pursuing different aspects of a central issue or studying a common phenomenon from different perspectives.
I find myself doing such things as I had written the literature review. I was trying to bring together many individual studies together in a way that pursued the topic on hand differently or from a different perspective. It made doing the literature review more fun. :)

No comments: