Friday, September 26, 2014

Re-reading articles used in the literature review

To give you an update of where I'm at doing my thesis. I have collected sufficient data. I have done preliminary analysis, enough to have written two papers that I hope can be published. However, in the process of doing those two papers, I realized that I want to reorganize the way I present my findings, which also means, I want to reanalyze my data. I have been analyzing it thematically, however, recently I realized the strength of using a case study approach is not found in identifying common themes across cases, but finding nuances and complexities within cases. However, owing to the way I have been analyzing data, I have not been able to capture all these nuances within in each. (They were good for finding cool ideas for papers though.)

But also because of this change of emphasis, I will need to change how I did my literature review. It probably means that a lot of what I have read would become less important in significance, but a few key articles would increase in significance. I am thinking of doing it this way in order to be able to rightly position my paper. Writing the papers for publication made me realized that I have been too broad and expansive in review previously and I want to narrow down and be more focused.

So the next step for me is to re-read those key articles that specifically talk about TEACHERS and patriotism. Rather than just PATRIOTISM in general. I will be better able to show the gaps this way... And next step also, to re-organize my findings section. It will be good. Currently there is too much discussion in my findings section. However if I write them case by case, I could more clearly delineate each teacher and later on discuss on findings separately in the discussion section. I believe this would tidy up things quite a lot.

It's already end September... Year ends are usually more busy for me... But my goal is still to complete my thesis within this Semester. But I am not going to kill myself over it. If really cannot, then I will extend by one more Semester, though it's not ideal because I don't need 6 months to write.

The following passage comforts me, at the thought of re-reading my articles to write my literature review...
...remember that in qualitative inquiry reviewing literature is an ongoing process that cannot be completed before data collection and analysis. As you reflect upon the data you collect, you will realize the need to review previously unexamined literature of both substantive and theoretical nature...Regard reviewing literature in interactive terms. You can learn different things from the work of others depending on what you already have learned and what you need to know. You may find yourself both dismayed and pleased to benefit later from material read earlier but overlooked because you lacked the experience to recognize it as beneficial. (p. 32)

Glesne, C. 2011. Becoming qualitative researchers: An introduction. Boston, MA: Pearson.

No comments: