Monday, June 16, 2014

The hidden curriculum

I'm not sure if I gave the right title.

But one thing about doing a thesis is that you don't see or know what happens behind the scenes?

For example, I spend a lot of time locating materials and photocopying/scanning them. I have bought second hand books from the USA and have them shipped to another address before receiving it here in Singapore. This is the hidden cost as well. Knowledge cost not only time but also money. I actually do think that many people don't further their studies because it's so costly in terms of both time and money.

One more thing I would like to do more of is to invest time in helping other graduate students. And another that I am contemplating is to do another module, though technically I don't need anymore credits. Because I'm just thinking what next. In my heart, I desire to be a historian, but my thesis is more practitioner, educational type. And I'm thinking, I'm trained as a scientist, how will I get my training as a historian? Can I do modules meant for history students?

No comments: