Sunday, June 8, 2014

A sudden realization

I just realized something that is not too good.

I realized I have been more attracted to research from the USA and Hong Kong and less to research from China, Russia and Europe.

And this has somewhat skewed my ideas and conceptions.

It's strange... But I can see a few reasons for why this has happened.

1. USA and Hong Kong are of relatively closer mental proximity to me. I have been to USA and Hong Kong. I know you might think this has no link to why I showed preference to works from these places. But it has for me. After I returned from a one day trip to Hong Kong, I sensed the sights and sounds and spirit of Hong Kong and was really inspired to write a piece of work for my boss. Having been to USA, I kinda like that country as well. And this explains why since I knew I would be visiting Europe for the first time in July, I started becoming interested to read articles on European nations.

2. I am more familiar with the democratic systems of USA and Hong Kong. So I find it easier to understand papers from USA and Hong Kong. I think I revealed this before that I struggle to read articles on Russia and actually China as well. With their long histories that scholars often have to explain the context first before getting to the meat of the study... It has caused some intimidation and reluctance to read these articles.

I feel kinda sad that I have placed such great spotlight on USA and Hong Kong and so little on others. Okay.

3. There really are more studies from these places than others, but that doesn't mean I should neglect the few from the latter that do exist.

No comments: