Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Noblesse Oblige

Something suddenly pulled my heart string and I have to write about it.

I suddenly saw the very close link between community service and elitism. The teachers in this particular school so STRESSED the idea of "noblesse oblige" (I just learned this term today). I felt it so strongly. In fact, I suspect that in a non-elite school, this factor may be downplayed. But the focus is more so on academics, in terms of what the teachers stressed.

People always talk bad about elitism and complain that non-elites don't have as much opportunities as elites... But you know, the elites have a greater burden to serve and be "slaves" to the rest of the population. We envy them, because we think of people who abuse their power and have unlimited riches, but if we ever do get there, we will realize the mandate of the elite is not merely to lead servants but more so to be the slaves of servants.

No comments: