Friday, April 27, 2018

Romantic View of doing the PhD

There are days, like today, that I am grateful I'm doing a PhD. I am not paid for doing it, in fact, I pay to do it. I may not be appreciated for what I do, even though, what I do has significance (according to me) for the country, the education system, and my field of study. And also, there are days that working on this can really stress me out, in many ways, because like life itself, doing the PhD is unpredictable, uncertain, and requires a lot of guts.

But... Seeing something incoherent become coherent. Seeing flighty thoughts take concrete shape on the screen and on paper. Spending this alone time digging into what others have researched, done, and written about... Can be very therapeutic and satisfying at the same time.

In time to come, I hope, I may add, interacting with my participants, seeing life lived out by teachers, their thoughts, fears, aspirations... Being privy to that... I have said this before and I will say it again. I have always wanted to be a teacher, and being unable to be one, studying teachers is something that comes pretty close!

No comments: