Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Writer's rite of passage: REJECTION



I had thought the most painful emotion an academic writer could experience was "rejected with MAJOR revisions". Now, I know there is an even more painful emotion - REJECTED!

But the strange thing is that after this experience, I feel even more like a writer. I feel like an ordinary academic, one who also experiences rejections. The previous two experiences of acceptance with major revisions were perhaps very lucky or blessed events, where the stars happened to align, and God winked at me, to give me a helpful boost of confidence to continue this journey as a researcher.

But the real world of the researcher is fraught with rejections.

I am hesitant to look at the article again. As I said before, when you submit something, you think it's really good, you're almost blind to its flaws. But now, I need to objectively look at it again, to see the validity of the reviewers comments, convert this article into another style for another journal. I hope to get this done by next week perhaps? Oh, bother, how time flies and it's already approaching December.

It did humble me. I felt there was a lot I didn't know after this experience. That I needed to read more. But maybe I'll start with trying to find out what that other journal we want to submit to is like and read some of their articles.

I need to come up with a strategy to convert this rejected article into a format that is worthy of acceptance in another journal now! But tactically, I have a higher chance now, as the journal we are currently targeting likes this genre of articles.

No comments: