Friday, November 20, 2015

Patriotism through different disciplines

I just discovered something really fun and wanted to share with you.

Many disciplines deal with patriotism. The first book I found on patriotism was from the social psychology field, later on, I discovered works from the political psychology field. Of course, I tried to find works from the educational field, where I am based mainly at. But other cool fields (sorry I used this term interchangeably with discipline, still rather confused) that discuss patriotism are: political science, philosophy and history!

And what I recently discovered from reading historical research articles is that historians like to see patriotism as a narrative, an ongoing story. They see patriotism as constantly morphing, and political.

This is different from the psychologist who often see patriotism as a trait in a person, that they either have it or do not have. People like Adorno try to measure "patriotism" in people, thinking that "pseudo-patriotism" inclines people towards racism. Political scientists also like to measure patriotism in people using surveys.

Social and political psychologists approach patriotism from the standpoint of identity, patriotism is what is needed for people to feel a sense of belonging, and national identity. It is also a tool used by politicians to rouse emotions and get support for unpopular policies. Being psychologists, they also measure this trait in people using surveys.

Philosophers are the interesting ones. They like to debate whether patriotism is a virtue or vice, whether it's morally obligatory, permissible or forbidden!

Of course, educators, like me, are interested in the process of socialization or initiation into citizenship. How to do you develop patriotism in people. How does loyalty develop? What does loyalty mean? Does it include critique of the nation and government, or only trying to help the students see everything good about them? How does the school develop loyalty in their students?

Isn't this fun!? One concept, but thought about so differently by different disciplines!

EDIT: I just realized I have not included sociological works. I think it's because I am unsure what constitutes sociology. I hope I can find some works from this discipline soon!

No comments: