Saturday, January 3, 2015

Restructuring

Restructuring is painful and a big risk.

I have this chapter on the context of Singapore and because of the repetition and lack of parallelism, I had been feeling very uncomfortable with it. Even though it's written down and vetted through to be alright with my supervisor.

I decided to take a risk and restructure that chapter today. Because of this move, while difficult, in terms of trying to create a new structure, yet it feels better. It's risky, because while the structure is there, I have yet fill in the gaps and make the whole coherent. I couldn't do that immediately because the restructuring process used up quite a bit of my attention and my brain has maxed out. So I spent 1 day doing that. Is it worth it? I don't know... So there's the risk there...

The last time I did a major restructure was in writing a paper with my supervisor which I submitted on Christmas Day...

Perhaps it's owing to inexperience, or lack of content and methodological knowledge, but yes, I do find myself having to make major changes of what I have written. And it's difficult to do so.

An update... Been stuck on the first few chapters of the thesis. Actually the real problem of the thesis lies in the next sections of Findings/Discussions/Conclusions... I will need to work on them soon!

No comments: