Thursday, April 3, 2014

Economic Inequality in Academia

I was extremely frustrated yesterday. Because I was trying to find a way to obtain an article which my library does not subscribe to. I searched the net for drafts of the article. I searched the libraries of other universities in Singapore. I knew I had a 50-50 chance of getting at least a draft if I emailed the author, but sometimes it was too emotionally draining for me and in addition, I would not be able to cite the pages properly but only the ideas.

I finally decided to buy that article. It cost USD$18. And I felt so good because the article was really current and relevant!

I'm just thinking how disadvantaged a scholar is, if he or she doesn't have the resources or choice to purchase scholarly works. It's so sad. :(

No comments: