Tuesday, December 29, 2009

While researching on Gonystylus, I found this!

From: Notes on the Genus Gonystylus Teijsm. et Binnend (Thymelaeaceae) by H. K. Airy Shaw in Kew Bulletin, Vol. 2, No. 1 (1947), pp. 9-16

The late C. F. Symington wrote me in April 1943 (the last communication received before his tragic death) : " There are at least 4, and probably 5, species of Gonystylus in the Malay Peninsula . . . I think Ridley had 4 species in his G. Maingayi." I have been unable to distinguish more than 2 species in the limited Peninsular material at Kew, but I have no doubt that Symington's statement will be found to be correct when work can be resumed on the Kepong and Singapore material (if still extant), or in the field.

It's a small, small world. :)

The last words before death. It's like the story Dr. Benito Tan told us.

No comments: