Thursday, May 8, 2008

Year 3 Sem 2 modules... Going deeper

Why do I prefer the modules Behavioural Biology and Evolution and Comparative Genomics over Ecology and Environmental Systems and Natural Heritage of Singapore?

I shall do a short analysis and evaluation to investigate in this post.

One possibility is the lack of proper lecture notes for the former two modules. I came with an open mind, heart, a pen and some paper and was open to exploring and retrieving new knowledge. It gave me the feel that the discipline was dynamic and not fixed. I can go back home after class to search up journal papers to read up more etc., the lecture was not exhaustive. This subjects were open. I saw how I could apply things I learn in class to life. Furthermore, those two modules were related, and I often cross what I learn between them.

This meaning, the latter two modules were highly structured with proper lecture notes and clear guidelines as to what I need to study to do well, which limited my mind and heart. I felt closed in. That all I had to know for this module (module objectives) were on my lecture notes and recommended textbooks. I had less incentive and interest to explore. Straightaway, I was robbed of the joy of learning. I felt what there was to learn was confined to the two hours a week I spent in class.

Could the trick to spurring my interest be the removal of the lecture notes? I can recall another module without lecture notes which I loved. And the modules which I enjoy normally have lecture notes that have minimal words! But only those I voluntarily chose!

Hmmm...

Another thing that assisted my learning and made it fun was the ability to see the module in the light of the other modules. The interdisciplinary part of it. When I was studying for Behavioural Biology, I used knowledge I attained from modules such as Life Form and Function, Ecology and Environmental Systems and Natural Heritage of Singapore. Actually, that was the most fun module I've studied for so far! :)

So...

Maybe next Semester, I will need to curb my perfectionistic tendencies and my inertia for change and forgo the lecture notes, come to class with a blank piece of paper, my pen, an open mind and an open heart.

No comments: