Friday, March 10, 2017

Bildung

Bildung is about the formation of the individuality. It is a term used in German didaktik that is unfamiliar to educators in the Western world. I am looking at my life, and even as I am doing my PhD now, I am also working on other aspects of my character and personality, like courage, assertiveness, confidence. I think my recent going for this basic padi scuba diving course is one part of it. I think as an adult, I hope to give myself that holistic education, not only of mind, but of body and spirit as well. I don't believe a PhD alone makes me an educated person, I believe being educated is so much more -- connecting with others, being sure of yourself... these are also what I am working towards while I work on my PhD. I hope I will be more ready for the world out there when I'm done.

No comments: