Tuesday, November 1, 2016

The group of average

Talking about education issues, I feel I need to speak up for that group who is the norm, who are not the really bad, nor the really good, the students who are perhaps above average or fighting to be average. These are the bookworms who want to do well in their studies. They are the group that knows that hard work pays off, and make a difference to their grades.

The weaker students and the gifted students may think that there's nothing much to do to change their grades, or even the perception people have of them, they have less to lose in terms of expressing their opinions in class, and also sort of less expectations by others on their grades.

But that group in the middle, that studious group who buries their heads into the books, they receive so little pity. They are mocked for being muggers, mocked for not having a voice of their own, only caring about results, and perhaps for being so boringly obedient and conventional.

(Forgive my gross generalizations, just trying to bring a point across.)

I think I speak up for this group, because I used to be one of them, and I couldn't see my individuality. I couldn't see that who I am was beyond what I can achieve in school, and is in fact more important than the outcomes I achieve.

I hope we don't overlook this group, or think they are doing fine, just because they are quiet, obedient, hardworking, and more or less average, average enough not to be noticed.

No comments: