Friday, January 8, 2016

Information Overload and Management

I have so much books and printed journal articles. Recently, I have been on a personal campaign to tidy up my room, using Marie Kondo (2014)'s "The life-changing magic of tidying up".

I saw this, and I thought it made sense to us, academics or scholars. I've seen the principle in other books as well, but since I have it ready here:

"Recently, I have noticed that having fewer books actually increases the impact of the information I read. I recognize necessary information much more easily. Many of my clients, particularly those who have disposed of a substantial number of books and papers, have also mentioned this. For books, timing is everything. The moment you first encounter a particular book is the right time to read it. To avoid missing that moment, I recommend that you keep your collection small."

Some scholars similarly recommend immediately reading something that catches your eye, instead of storing it to be read in a future date, which usually does not happen. :)

Kondo, M. (2014). The life-changing magic of tidying up: The Japanese art of decluttering and organizing. Berkeley: Ten Speed Press

No comments: