Sunday, August 2, 2015

Writing for impact

I used to be ashamed of what I have written... despite the surprise I get when I re-read some of the things I've written. I am surprised because I never knew I had so many amazing idea and I think I write quite well. :) But I want to change this. I want to be proud of the ideas I have and fight for them. I will change them if you can convince me as well. But I want to stand for something first. So here I promote myself:

https://nie-sg.academia.edu/ShuyiChua

Feel free to engage me. We are all intelligent in our own ways. And I would say, even if you don't consider me very intelligent, I am very academically humble, meaning if you are willing to give me any form of feedback, I will consider it carefully and gratefully. So this enables me to learn very broadly and quickly and this makes up for any lack.

Today, I share a paragraph from a book. The purpose is to motivate myself, because I am re-writing an article for publication and if you lose sight of the reason why you do it... It can become a very tiring process. So here I am reminding myself of why I do what I do.

"Writing for impact is trying to change the conversation: pointing out something new and interesting, changing how people think about a familiar problem, refining the field's vocabulary, adding new concepts and tools. The impact of an article is made visible in many ways. People cite your work in their papers; catch you at a conference and mention they read it (i.e., they saw it and intend to read it someday); ask you to peer review manuscripts and grant proposals on the topic, thus proving that no good works go unpunished; invite you to be part of conference sessions and edited books related to your area, thus proving that the rich do get richer; and, at the end of it all, conduct research inspired by yours." (p. 10)

Silvia, Paul J.  (2015). Write it up: Practical strategies for writing and publishing journal articles. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.

No comments: