Thursday, November 7, 2013

Breakthrough in writing

I think my breakthrough in writing came when I stopped thinking in terms of words and sentences but ideas. 

There are much language rules guiding how words should be put together to form sentences but there are fewer rules guiding how ideas can interact with one another.

Hence the moment I start to understand the unit of writing as ideas rather than words, a whole new playground opened up to me. 

Another thing important for me to write is emotions. I cannot write well when I write without engaging my spirit but relegate the task to a mental exercise. I don't like to talk about the heart and mind being separate because I believe they should be one. To me, writing is an emotional act. I write best when I'm fully immersed into what I'm writing, when I can feel it, sympathize with characters in my story, imagine the impact of my writing on future generations. 

No comments: