Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Some thoughts...

I've been thinking about it... I noticed I've been quite pro-dictatorship... Is it because I grew up in Singapore under a good "dictator"? And perhaps coming from a middle-class family, I have never had much economic struggles and seldom question the status quo... Is this why I am less interested in politics? Had I come from another country and I realised I am not given equal chances for education because of my skin colour, and I wanted to immigrate to a country that would give me equal chances... would I be more politically active? Because poor governance affects my life and the lives of my friends greatly? Had I come from a poorer background and am forced to consider the reality of meritocracy, whether it really works or am I destined to be stuck in poverty because of a poorer footing at the beginning of life... would I care more for equity and the disadvantaged of society? If I lived in a country with a bad "dictator", would I feel helpless to change my situation? Would I fight for democracy? Would I immigrate? Am I a phenomenon of Singapore? Or am I one of a kind? Can statistics tell me? What about being a citizen of a nation that has undergone contestation? Would it cause me to be more politically aware? Does how free the media is make a difference? Or what if people are like me who generally don't read the papers? Am I the minority that conducting a quantitative research would not reveal more people like me? Or should a qualitative research be conducted to pick out anomalies like me, should I really be an anomaly?

No comments: