Saturday, March 8, 2008

Thinking through writing

Either by a stroke of luck or by divine intervention, I found the book from which this blog address got its name from, in the Plant Systematics Laborary library.

I searched the web high and low, searched Amazon. com, searched ecampus.com, searched Singapore Polytechnic library (which has a copy of this), searched school library and the national library. I was searching for a convenient way to get my hands on this book, after Janadas Devan recommended it in that article some time ago (see post below). The extent I went to look for it, I was willing to get it shipped over from the USA, my only concern was whether it is the best timing to get it over now, or should I wait.

Wait for a stroke of luck or for divine intervention.

It is so amazing how I did not have to wait too long. As I was searching the shelves for books on how to write a Scientific report, I found her sitting there (I saw her standing there).

Look somewhat forgotten and forsaken, in a secluded corner, surrounded by books that had tunnels carved through their covers by some insects.

I look her in my arms and lifted her high. I found her!! :)

*beams*

"... paying close attention as you read, so that when you write about what you have read, you do so with an accurate assessment of what was on the page. This is the "looking closely" I just talked about. Good writing has to do with putting together what is there in a plausible, interesting, and persuasive way."

Oh, the more I read the introduction, the more I love this book. A bible for writing. A self-help book for writing! And one not about grammar, and the rules of writing, but the heart and mechanics of writing. How cool, this treasure. :)

It is so exciting! :) Ops!

Haha. :)

No comments: